These delicious little treats will add a little something special to your meal! Perfect for dinner parties or special occasions.
(Makes 24 appetizers)
- 1 cup water
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) Cabot Salted Butter, cut into cubes
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 4 large eggs
- 6 ounces Cabot Sharp Cheddar, Cabot Extra Sharp Cheddar, Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar or Cabot Private Stock Cheddar, grated (about 1 ½ cups)
- ⅓ cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- Pinch ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 8 ounces Cabot Vermont Premium Cream Cheese, softened
- ½ -1 cup finely minced smoked salmon*
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- About 3 tablespoons Cabot Sour Cream
- ¼ cup finely chopped red bell pepper
To Make Gougères:
PREHEAT oven to 425°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
HEAT water, butter, salt and sugar in a saucepan until butter is melted.
ADD flour all at once and stir vigorously until mixture breaks away from side of pan and forms smooth ball.
REMOVE from heat and let rest for two minutes. Beat in eggs one at a time, stirring quickly so egg doesn’t cook, until dough is firm, smooth and waxy.
ADD all of cheddar, all but 2 tablespoons of Parmesan, mustard and red pepper, and stir until well blended.
TRANSFER mixture to a pastry bag fitted with large plain tip. Pipe dough into two dozen small round mounds, evenly separated. Sprinkle tops with remaining Parmesan.
BAKE for 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 375°F and bake for 20 to 25 minutes longer or until completely golden brown.
To Make Filling:
BEAT together cream cheese, salmon, chives and hot sauce.
STIR in sour cream to achieve proper consistency for filling. Stir in red peppers.
MAKE a small slit in side of each gougère. Scrape filling into pastry bag or plastic bag. Cut off corner and squeeze some of filling into each gougère.
*or use crumbled bacon or minced ham