Somewhere between a strata and a cheesy spoon bread, this ode to dairy is a favorite at our table!
- 8 slices firm white bread, buttered well
- 8 ounces Cabot Sharp Cheddar, grated (about 2 cups)
- 2 1/2 cups milk*
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Butter the bread on one side, then place buttered sides together to make 4 “butter sandwiches.” Cut sandwiches into quarters.
- Butter a 2-quart casserole. Arrange two of the quartered sandwiches in the bottom of the casserole. Sprinkle with half the cheese. Arrange the remaining two sandwiches on top, then cover with the remaining cheese.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, mustard and Worcestershire sauce. Pour over bread in the casserole. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, preheat the oven to 325°F and bake for 1 hour, until top is bubbly and brown. Serve immediately.